1. Food
Colleen Graham

Vodka and Diabetes?

By March 29, 2006

It is known that a glass of wine daily can be beneficial to one's health and, more specifically, heart. But what about a shot of vodka? Well, some Italian researchers have found (in a preliminary study) that drinking a shot of vodka at dinner could help prevent Type 2 diabetes.

The following press release can be found at adnkronos.com.

ITALIAN RESEARCH COUNCIL AFFIRMS ONE SHOT GLASS OF VODKA DAILY KEEPS DIABETES AWAY

Rome, Mar. 23rd (Adnkronos) - A drink during the main meal of the day could keep diabetes away. Not only has red wine been found to be "heart -friendly" but now also vodka in moderate amounts is said to be "healthy". In fact, it seems that vodka is useful against diabetes, especially to ward off mellitus diabetes, or non-insulin dependent Type 2 diabetes. This was discovered by the researchers of the Biomedical Engineering Institute of the National Research Council (CNR) of Padua, in collaboration with the researchers of the Department of Experimental Medicine of the Padua General Hospital.

Photo Credit: Lehel Mor

Please remember that this is only one study and new information may be available. Check with your doctor to see if drinking any alcohol is appropriate for you and if there is any new information available.

Comments

January 15, 2008 at 5:17 pm
(1) paul says:

no ur not wright on this vodka is a strng imune syistem killer it kills the gut`s natrel good gut syestem and tht is in small dose`es

March 5, 2008 at 5:45 pm
(2) david says:

i hope yur right. i just found out i have type 2, and don’t want to quit drinking. i have more like 8-20 oz/day starting at 3pm…hmmm. i just quit smoking a month ago, that should be enuf. i have found out that healthy juices contain about 30g sugar/8 oz juice, which is half of what should b your daily limit. v-8 however has only 8g sugar/8 oz. also, use diet tonic water as opposed to tonic water…

March 5, 2008 at 5:47 pm
(3) david says:

oops, i meant i drink 8-10 oz of vodka. i used to drink a fifth a day, but now i am happy with less…

June 25, 2008 at 11:55 am
(4) steve gordineer says:

I am 69 years old and have been drinking for 55 years. the doctor said I was borderline diabetic. I told him that if i had to quit drinking i would just as soon die, as vodka, and the friends i drink it with, are the only things that provide me with any quality of life.

June 25, 2008 at 12:04 pm
(5) cocktails says:

Steve, I can understand how you feel and I say go for it!

On the other note…I’m just passing on a medical report and am not a doctor. The same debate came along when it was first said that a glass of wine a day was good for you. It’s up to the individual to make their decisions and be informed about your own health.

November 9, 2008 at 3:08 pm
(6) Jim B says:

I have been type 2 diabetes for 15 years. My blood sugar levels have varied in the 15 year period and as of late I could not get it under 200 with no alcohol or carbs. i met a Marine nurse at a local eatery and she suggested a shot of vodka with the evening meal. At my age you must explore every option. Same diet 3 days no vodak blood 276, 222 & 245. Same diet witha shot of vadka at dinner 101, 80 & 111. The pharmaceutical companies do not want this known What a surprise

November 16, 2008 at 3:07 pm
(7) cocktails says:

Jim, thanks for sharing your personal experience with this.

May 9, 2009 at 9:37 pm
(8) GUrvinder S Bindra says:

Ok! While I write this, I am high on vodaka !
Just to confirm what I read here, I am also including readings from my glucometer.
I have taken my meds , evening dose, at 6 PM EST.
I have taken 1 Gm (regular evening dose) of Metformin and 10 Gms Glynase (also regular dose)
My sugar at 6 Pm was 273. I have consumed some tea and cake two hours before this.

At 0800 I have had a double shot of vodka with Diet coke.

It is now 0930 EST and I am High. While High, i have tested my sugar and it is 163. It has NOT been 163 today inspite of starving myself the whole yesterday.
Looks like there is SOME truth in the fact that vodka DOES seem to have some impact on diabetes type 2.
Regards
Gurvinder

May 2, 2010 at 5:13 pm
(9) James Pettitt says:

I’m 63, Type2 diabetic; heard only hours ago that a neighbour drinks vodka which lessens his glucose levels for Diab.2. Astounded, I’ve researched this and conclude that my abstainer status will change…until I’ve investigated (tasted) this phenomenon for myself. I could care less for alcohol these days, but this piques my interest! Cheers.

July 10, 2010 at 12:20 pm
(10) James says:

I was diagnose with type 2 diabetes a few months ago and was taking 1000 mg metformin twice a day stop taking meds for 30 days just to see if i could control it with diet…usually my numbers are around 121 to 140 after i tried a shot of vodka at night before bed for a few days my numbers were down between 85 to 110 seems to be working better than the meds

September 4, 2010 at 8:50 pm
(11) Mark says:

I’m being tested for diabetes at present, I live a healthy lifestyle but drink alcohol too much I guess? Anyways, I’m reading this vodka story and was wondering the same myself? My doctor said alcohol is fermented sugar but vodka comes from grain not sugar right? I don’t wanna give up alcohol, I like socializing, I don’t smoke, exercise like a crazy and eat healthy…… What else is there?

June 9, 2011 at 10:37 am
(12) Lee says:

vodka comes from spuds

June 11, 2011 at 1:20 pm
(13) cocktails says:

Not all vodka is from potatoes. Many are made with grains. Most vodkas do not contain sugars, liqueurs that are vodka (or grain spirit) based usually contain sugars.

A helpful article as an update to this post can be found at Diabetes.About.com… All in Moderation When it Comes to Alcohol and Diabetes – http://diabetes.about.com/od/nutrition/a/Alcohol_and_Diabetes.htm

September 6, 2010 at 10:57 am
(14) cocktails says:

I’m going to preface this with “Talk to your doctor again.” Vodka is distilled from a grain of some sort (corn, wheat, rye, etc). Here is a link that may help… http://www.dietaryfiberfood.com/sugar-content-fruits.php

December 8, 2011 at 10:14 am
(15) anne s says:

Vodka is usually starch distilled / based and I cannot drink it. I found this vodka in the LA Supperclub that I can finally drink you guys should try it , VUQO VODKA its pretty much a hit in the LA clubs now for it’s health benefits. checked their website out: http://www.vuqo.com and they are selling in about 8 states and 60 something locations. Online stores such as redcarpetwines.com in CA and serendipityues.com in NY sell this brand and can be delivered in your doorstep. Highly Recommended

November 30, 2012 at 10:43 am
(16) Poohbear says:

Just curious as to which vodka was used in this study – anybody know?

December 10, 2012 at 6:09 pm
(17) lisaj says:

After reading all of the positive comments, I’m ready to start drinking vodka again.

I went through a long line of fungal infections since Aug, the Dr. checked my sugar and it was 256. She was shocked and it scared me. So now I’m on metformin twice a day and tradjenta. After the news, I was thinking, oh crap, now I have to stop drinking.

Now that I’ve found this forum, am going to return the two bottles of wine in the fridge and get a bottle of vodka!! I’ve always drank vodka and diet coke or fresca, I am going back to it.

Thanks for sharing.

March 28, 2013 at 9:50 am
(18) marty jones says:

WOW,

Not knowing the difference between beer vs Vodka, I have been drinking sparkling water with vodka for a while now. Just assuming its better than beer. IM SO glad to read the comments. Im type 2 and my sugars range from 115 to 135. When I wake up in the morning my sugars is around 160. I’m going to take a shot of vodka before I go to bed and see if there is a difference in the morning.

May 3, 2013 at 8:55 am
(19) angie says:

I was just diagnosed with diabetes 2…enjoy my vodka…dr said no alcohol…after reading this going to have 1 vodka Martini with my dinner and see if my sugar drops in the morning…have to go for a hdl blood test in June if it low this means my sugar has dropped..will keep you all informed…doing a high protein diet with fresh veggies and fruit…snack every 3-4 hours during the day to keep sugar down…dr wants me to drink light beer, but I’m not a beer drinker