The other day I went off about overly sweet and not-so-sweet cocktails for Valentine's Day, but today I wanted to share some very elegant options from the original cocktail days. While these drinks may not have all the chocolate, exotic fruits, cream and other common love potion ingredients as the newer libations, they are great drinks. These are ones that have been served neat for a century or more and have always been, and will continue to be, impressive.
- Brandy Cocktail - one of the original "cocktail" cocktails and a delightful drink for both guys and ladies, making it ideal to share
- Colleen Bawn - a favorite of mine because of the name and because it is a classical mix of classic spirits - namely rye whiskey, Chartreuse and Benedictine - the egg also adds a creamier texture
- Embassy Cocktail - a slightly more tropical brandy cocktail because of the rum, lime and Cointreau and it is a splendid mix that pairs well with almost any food
- Honeymoon Cocktail - it is Valentine's Day and, especially after you've been married for 10 plus years, you need a little reminder that everyday should be like the first day and this applejack mix is another that appeals to everyone
- Monkey Gland - a little dry, a little sweet and a little anise - this classic gin cocktail is outstanding when handled with care and almost every ingredient has those aphrodisiac qualities
- Paradise Cocktail - when gin, apricot brandy and orange juice are combined and served neat the result is a luxurious and impressive cocktail
- Waldorf - rye and absinthe are making a comeback and, with that, so comes the Waldorf and what better way to say "I love you" than with an elegant drink that is named for one of the best bars of all time