The five I chose from the list of vodka cocktails are personal favorites, those that captivated me and sucked me in on the first drink and they will long remain at the top of my list for this season. Also, for the most part these are remakes on some of the best (or most popular) drinks. The talented mixologists behind these drinks simply re-imagined and gave a modern facelift to what we already fell in love with.
Apple Cider Martini
- Apple Cider Martini - Apple Martinis remain a hot item, but allow me to introduce you to one that is designed to perfection, completely skipping over all those far-too-tart, neon green bottles of schnapps. This is an apple martini for everyone, complete with a super-smooth vodka (Ultimat), apple cider, ginger liqueur, and velvet falernum.
- Bloody Gazpacho - One of my favorite variations on a Bloody Mary, this recipe from Humberto Marques is a show stopper. The tweaks in this drink include basil, cucumber, balsamic vinegar, and garlic along with the usual bloody suspects. Make up a large batch of this one and enjoy it at will.
- Dusk in Eden - Apple and pomegranate make up the flavors of this neat little cocktail from 42 Below Vodka. It is fresh, easy, and delicately sweet. You will love it and if you can find it, substitute their Manuka Honey Vodka for the clear stuff.
- Harvest Moon - For me, this was one of the best recipes in last year's Finlandia Vodka Cup (6th recipe down on the linked page). Oregon mixologist, Jake Bliven, turns the average Vodka Martini on its head with the addition of this inspirational 'spiced mead reduction', Bar Code Baked Apple Bitters, fermented apple cider, and figs. Truly amazing and worth finding all of the right ingredients.
- Zen Milk Bath - For some reason, this recipe from Yuri Kato's Japanese Cocktails book reminds me of autumn. Maybe that is because it is so calm and soothing, just like the season. It is made of sake, vanilla vodka, Zen Green Tea Liqueur, milk, and matcha powder and is quite the delight.
Would you like to receive cocktail tips and recipes every week? Sign up for the free cocktail newsletter and recipe of the week here and get the latest edition sent directly to your email.