Cinnamon is a comforting spice and it is often found in minute amounts in drinks as an accent. There is also a difference between the real cinnamon flavor and the often candied cinnamon of cinnamon schnapps. Both are perfect for this season and the cocktails below include one or the other.
- Admiral Perry - Why not start this list off with the winner of our cinnamon cocktail contest? This drink has almost every flavor we love during the holidays including pear vodka, chocolate, and cinnamon (there's some vermouth too). The cinnamon in this case is Hiram Walker Original Cinn Schnapps, which is more like a liquified cinnamon roll than anything else. It's delicious.
- Modern English - Cinnamon can be sophisticated and this delightful drink proves it. Made of Bulldog Gin, pear nectar, maple, and lemon, the cinnamon comes in via both Goldschlager and a cinnamon stick.
- Mulled Pomegranate Warmer - This warm punch will kick off the hot drinks that make up the rest of this list. In this instance pomegranate liqueur and red wine form the base, which is accented with citrus and the traditional mulling spices. This one is perfect for warming up a small crowd.
- Hot Apple Toddy - Cinnamon sticks come alive under heat, making even the single stick as powerful as any other ingredient and winter would not be winter without a little toddy love. This toddy recipe is a timeless favorite, beginning with either whiskey or apple brandy and adding warmed apple cider, sugar, lemon, cloves, and that iconic cinnamon stirring stick.
- Mulled Spice Cheribundi - This hot drink is just too much fun and whoever thought of adding root beer to a warming brew is a genius. The mix is one of bourbon, cherry juice, a touch of root beer, and the spices of nutmeg, allspice, and cinnamon. Serve this one up and see if anyone can pinpoint that 'secret' ingredient.
Would you like to receive cocktail tips and recipes every week? Sign up for the free cocktail newsletter and recipe of the week here and get the latest edition sent directly to your email.