I had been under the impression for the longest time that a Manhattan used Canadian or bourbon whiskey but after a few traditionalist Manhattanite's comments and a couple of drinks I'm convinced that rye whiskey makes the best Manhattan. After all, it was the original whiskey used for the drink. Though, there was a time when rye was not as widely available or as good as it is today, but after a revival, rye is back. That said, ultimately, the choice is yours as the drinker and if you prefer another whiskey in your Manhattan, go with it.
Prep Time: 3 minutes
Total Time: 3 minutes
Yield: 1 Cocktail
- Pour the ingredients into a mixing glass with ice cubes.
- Stir well.
- Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
- Garnish with the cherry.
Variations on the Manhattan:
- Dry Manhattan- Use a dash of dry vermouth and garnish with a lemon twist.
- Perfect Manhattan- Equal parts of sweet and dry vermouth. Garnish with a lemon twist.
- Brandy Manhattan- Replace whiskey with brandy.
- Scotch Manhattan- Replace whiskey with Scotch.
- Southern Comfort Manhattan- Replace whiskey with Southern Comfort.
Would you like to receive cocktail tips and recipes every week? Sign up for the free cocktail newsletter and recipe of the week here and get the latest edition sent directly to your email.