The Bottom Line
- Fun, colorful book with recipes for every step of a pregnancy.
- One of the best collections of mocktails.
- The drinks are imaginitive and original - many illustrated with color photographs.
- These drinks are perfect for anyone, pregnant or not, whose looking for a non-alcoholic drink.
- Includes tips for the Dad-to-Be who wants to spike his drink.
- 75 original cocktail recipes (most non-alcoholic), paperback, 150 pages with full color photographs
- Released: December 2008
- Written by Natalie Bovis-Nelsen (aka The Liquid Muse)
- Photographs by Claire Barret
- Published by GPP Life, an imprint of Globe Pequot Press
- Recipes from Preggatinis™: Apricot Gingerini, Coconut Key Lime Momtini, Flossy Aussie, Preggie Provençe
Guide Review - Preggatinis: Mixology for the Mom-to-Be
There is not one of the recipes in Preggatinis that is not enjoyable and for Bovis-Nelsen to share her original drinks with us in such an enlightening fashion is excellent. Beyond just being a list of drinks, these drinks have a purpose. From the ginger-laden drinks for quieting morning sickness to "drinks" like the Funky Monkey that cure the ice cream and pickle craving, through light beer and wine cocktails to slowly reintroduce alcohol to your system and a few trimming tinis for shedding those extra pounds - all of the steps are covered.
My other favorite aspect of Preggatinis are the "De-Virginize for Dad" tips - because the pregnancy trip does not just affect the ladies. Throughout the book there are options for the sympathetic father who wants a slightly stiffer drink without making his wife feel left out. That is a win-win situation for the whole family and a great concept for keeping everyone happy.
So, ladies, your social life does not have to end when you get pregnant, you can still have fun and enjoy fine drinks. I would highly recommend Preggatinis for any family with a new addition on the way - it's fun, it's enjoyable and it's filled with great ideas. Not to mention that I now have the perfect gift for every one of my friends when they make the "big" announcement.