Épicé is French for "spicy" and the Sidecar is a classic Cognac-based drink, the Épicé Sidecar is a mix of those two elements. It was created by David Brenner of New York and chosen as the winning pineapple cocktail in the June 2010 Pineapple Cocktail Contest.
I do want to caution you to make this drink as Brenner's recipe states as it is a fine balance of flavor. The jalapeno syrup is a great addition to the sweetness and fruits, adding just a touch of spice that makes this drink very impressive: add too much and you will burn the drink's flavor.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 1 Drink
- 1 1/2 parts Cognac
- 1 part fresh pineapple juice
- 3/4 part fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 part jalapeno brown sugar (double strength) simple syrup (2:1 sugar/water)- *Recipe below
- Rim half of a chilled cocktail glass with Sugar In The Raw.
- Shake all ingredients in a shaker with ice, and strain into the cocktail glass.
- Garnish with a 2 jalapeno slices and a small pineapple wedge.
*To make Jalapeno Syrup:
- 2 cups Sugar In The Raw, brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 fresh jalapeno peppers, washed and stemmed
- Add the sugar and water to a pot.
- Slice jalapenos lengthwise and add to a pot.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring frequently.
- Reduce heat to a gentle simmer, and simmer for three minutes.
- Remove from heat let steep for 20 minutes.
- Strain through a fine mesh strainer.