Épicé is French for "spicy" and the Sidecar is a classic Cognac-based drink, the Épicé Sidecar is a mix of those two elements. It was created by David Brenner of New York and chosen as the winning pineapple cocktail in the June 2010 Pineapple Cocktail Contest. You can read more of the panel's thoughts about the drink here, but I do want to caution you to make this drink as Brenner's recipe states as it is a fine balance of flavor. The jalapeno syrup is a great addition to the sweetness and fruits, adding just a touch of spice that makes this drink very impressive.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 1 Drink
- 1 1/2 parts Cognac
- 1 part fresh pineapple juice
- 3/4 part fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 part jalapeno brown sugar (double strength) simple syrup (2:1 sugar/water)- *Recipe below
- Rim half of a chilled cocktail glass with Sugar In The Raw.
- Shake all ingredients in a shaker with ice, and strain into the cocktail glass.
- Garnish with a 2 jalapeno slices and a small pineapple wedge.
*To make Jalapeno Syrup:
- 2 cups Sugar In The Raw, brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 fresh jalapeno peppers, washed and stemmed
- Add the sugar and water to a pot.
- Slice jalapenos lengthwise and add to a pot.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring frequently.
- Reduce heat to a gentle simmer, and simmer for three minutes.
- Remove from heat let steep for 20 minutes.
- Strain through a fine mesh strainer.