Brandy (or Cognac, to be precise) does not often make an appearance in the same glass as hot chocolate and it's a shame, really, because it is a fantastic combination. Of course, you could just pour hot chocolate over a shot of Hennessy and call it done, but there will be a lot left to be desired. It is the spiced syrup and vanilla that can take that drink from average to outstanding. The cream top and spicy-sweet garnish is just an added bonus.
I have linked to a brown sugar spiced syrup recipe below, however, if you do not want to make this easy simple syrup yourself there are some commercially available options. One that is very similar is Monin's Spiced Brown Sugar Syrup.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
Yield: 1 Drink
- 1 1/2 ounces Hennessy VS Cognac
- 6 ounces hot chocolate
- 3/4 ounce spiced syrup
- 3 drops pure vanilla extract
- Heavy cream to top
- Grated nutmeg for garnish
- Shaved dark chocolate for garnish
- Add all liquids, except the heavy cream, to a heat-proof glass.
- Layer the desired amount of cream on top.
- Garnish with grated nutmeg and dark chocolate.
Would you like to receive cocktail tips and recipes every week? Sign up for the free cocktail newsletter and recipe of the week here and get the latest edition sent directly to your email.