That aside, this is a fascinating brandy cocktail, one of the better that I've seen in a long time. And while it is an intense preparation process, it is worth every second and makes a perfect, sophisticated nightcap.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 5 minutes
Yield: 1 Cocktail
- 1 1/2 parts Courvoisier Exclusif Cognac
- 3/4 part coffee liqueur
- 3/4 part Knob Creek Bourbon Whiskey
- 2 orange peels
- Almond cream* (recipe below)
- Super-fine sugar for rimming
- Pour the Cognac into a sugar-rimmed brandy snifter.
- In a separate mixing glass, combine the coffee liqueur and Knob Creek and stir.
- Ignite the cognac and slowly turn the snifter, rotating it so as to caramelize all the sugars on the rim of the snifter.
- Express the two orange peels into the brandy snifter to coat the inside of the glass with the caramelized orange oils. (This should create quite a spark so be careful!)
- Discard the orange peels.
- Strain the coffee liqueur/bourbon mixture directly into the brandy snifter, putting out the flame.
- Layer the almond cream on top of the mixture.
- Allow to cool and enjoy carefully as the brandy snifter may be quite hot around the rim.
*Almond CreamCombine 2 ounces heavy whipping cream with 1/2 ounce orgeat syrup and shake vigorously in a glass and mixing tin for 20 slow seconds until sufficiently whipped.
Recipe Courtesy: Courvoisier
Would you like to receive cocktail tips and recipes every week? Sign up for the free cocktail newsletter and recipe of the week here and get the latest edition sent directly to your email.