That aside, this is one of the most fascinating brandy cocktails I've seen in a long time. And while it is an intense preparation process, it is worth every second and makes a perfect, sophisticated nightcap.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 5 minutes
Yield: 1 Cocktail
- 1 1/2 parts Courvoisier Exclusif Cognac
- 3/4 part Starbucks Coffee Liqueur
- 3/4 part Knob Creek Bourbon
- 2 orange peels
- Almond cream* (recipe below)
- Super-fine sugar for rimming
- Pour the Courvoisier Exclusif into a sugar-rimmed brandy snifter.
- In a separate mixing glass, combine the coffee liqueur and Knob Creek and stir.
- Ignite the cognac slowly turning the snifter and rotating it so as to caramelize all the sugars on the rim of the snifter.
- Express the two orange peels into the brandy snifter so as to coat the inside of the glass with the caramelized orange oils. (This should create quite a spark so be careful!)
- Discard the orange peels.
- Strain the coffee liqueur/bourbon mixture directly into the brandy snifter, putting out the flame.
- Layer the almond cream on top of the mixture.
- Allow to cool and enjoy carefully as the brandy snifter may be quite hot around the rim.
Combine 2 oz. heavy whipping cream with 1/2 oz. Orgeat Syrup and shake vigorously in a glass and mixing tin for 20 slow seconds until sufficiently whipped.