Every month (or two months) I am going to feature a themed cocktail contest where you can show off your mixed drink creations and mixology skills. Anyone can submit their original cocktail recipes to the monthly themed contest, a panel of experts will choose their favorite, and the winning recipe will be featured on About.com Cocktails and become a part of my permanent drink database.
Contest of the Month:May 2013: Rum Cocktails
Deadline: Sunday, May 26, 2013
Submit your rum cocktail now...
2013 Contest Schedule:
- January: Brandy Cocktails - The winner is: Leviathan No. 2, see full results
- February: Green Cocktails - The winner is: Cucumber-Tea-Ni, see full results
- March: Chocolate Cocktails - The winner is: Plantation Fever, see full results.
- April: Mint Cocktails - The winner is: TBD
- May: Rum Cocktails
- June: Strawberry Cocktails
- July: Frozen Cocktails
- August: Lemonade Cocktails
- September: Apple Cocktails
- October: Pear Cocktails
- November: Holiday Cocktails
- December: New Year's Cocktails
- October 2012: Halloween - See Submissions... and the winner is Skeleton Key.
- June/July 2012: Mocktails - See Submissions... and the winner is The Great Gazoo.
- May 2012: Vodka Cocktails - See Submissions... and the winner is Goose in Spring.
- November 2011: Gin Cocktails - See Submissions... and the winner is The 5/25.
- September 2011: Infused Spirits Cocktails - See Submissions... and the winner is The Marriage of Figaro.
- July/Aug 2011: Absinthe Cocktails - See Submissions... and the winner is La Dame Blasée.
- May/June 2011: Grapefruit Cocktails - See submissions... and the winner is It's About That Time.
- March/April 2011: Spring Cocktails - See submissions... and the winner is La Primavera.
- January 2011: Hot Cocktails - See submissions... and the winner is Torii Toddy.
- November 2010: Scotch Cocktails - See submissions... and the winner is Scotch Lassie.
- October 2010: Cinnamon Cocktails - See submissions... and the winner is Admiral Perry.
- September 2010: Pumpkin Cocktails - See submissions... and the winner is The Homecoming.
- August 2010: Bourbon Cocktails - See submissions... and the winner is Georgia On My Mind.
- July 2010: Light Rum Cocktails - See submissions... and the winner is Tom Yang Light Martini.
- June 2010: Pineapple Cocktails - See submissions... and the winner is the Épicé Sidecar
- May 2010: Tequila Cocktails - See submissions... and the winner is the Pom Padre
Here are the details:
- All cocktails must be original and created by the person who submits it. Variations on classic or common cocktails will be accepted (i.e. the Cocoa Old-fashioned and Reposado Old-fashioned would be acceptable variations on the classic Old-fashioned, an Old-fashioned with a specific bourbon brand and no other changes would not). As the panel cannot possibly know every drink ever made you are on your honor, though we will be able to catch common reproductions.
- The contest is open to all levels of expertise from beginning home bartenders to professionals and all will be judged fairly with no consideration of skill level.
- Photographs of the drink submitted are encouraged.
- Cocktails must adhere to the theme of that month or they will not be accepted.
- Non-alcoholic mixed drinks will be accepted if they are fitting to the theme. Obviously, a mocktail will not work for a "Tequila Cocktail" contest, but one may be submitted for a "Pomegranate Cocktail" contest.
- If I have any questions about your drink submission I may contact you via email.
- At the beginning of each month (or bi-monthly) a new contest theme will be announced and the contest will be open through the end of the month. Specific deadline days are set each month and may not specifically adhere to the dates on the calendar. Check the open contest for the specific deadline.
- After the deadline day for that month the contest will be closed to further submissions.
- I reserve the right to reject or edit any submissions, though I will leave accepted cocktail recipes intact.
- Submitting your name and website are optional. I will encourage the winning bartender to reveal these details, though it is not required.
- Please only submit cocktail recipes using the online form (see above for current form). If I receive them via email I will ask you to use the form anyway so it saves us all some time and effort.
The Winning Cocktail:
Of the submissions received each month I will choose the top three cocktails and submit those to my panel of bartending experts for tasting and review. Together the panel will decide which drink wins top honors for that month. The winning cocktail will be featured in my blog and the recipe will be placed permanently in my cocktail collection on About.com Cocktails with full credit and any relevant links going to the drink's creator.
The Panel of Judges:
- Colleen Graham - Of course, I will be on the panel, will choose the themes, and narrow down our final contestants.
- Lance J. Mayhew - My Whiskey Contributing Writer will join the panel. His expertise in all things bartending have always been valuable to me and his taste in cocktails impeccable. Read his articles in the Whisky In-Depth section and on his blog, My Life On The Rocks...
- Chris Milligan - An esteemed guest judge, Milligan is the head bartender at Secreto Lounge in Santa Fe, New Mexico and knows his drinks. His insights into the workings of a bar and mixology can be found on his blog, The Santa Fe Barman.