Every month I am going to feature a themed cocktail contest where you can show off your mixed drink creations and mixology skills. Anyone can submit their original cocktail recipes to the monthly themed contest, a favorite will be chosen from a selection of finalists, and the winning recipe will be featured on About.com Cocktails and become a part of the permanent drink database.
Contest of the Month:
There are currently no contests open. We are taking a break during the summer months this year and a new contest will be open on September 1st, 2014.
2014 Contest Schedule:
Read the full results from the 2014 contests...
- January: Whiskey Cocktails - The winner is: Ides of March
- February: Sweet Cocktails - The winner is: Babycakes
- March: Savory Cocktails - The winner is: Smoke and Spice and Everything Nice
- April: Fruit Cocktails - The winner is: Frisco 49
- May: Herbal Cocktails - The winner is: Basil B. Bennett
- June-August: No contests.
- September: Tea Cocktails
- October: Gin Cocktails
- November: Vodka Cocktails
- December: Tequila Cocktails
Read the full results from the 2013 contests...
- January: Brandy Cocktails - The winner is: Leviathan No. 2
- February: Green Cocktails - The winner is: Cucumber-Tea-Ni
- March: Chocolate Cocktails - The winner is: Plantation Fever
- April: Mint Cocktails - The winner is: Raspberry Mojito
- May: Rum Cocktails - The winner is: Pear Naked Sailor
- June: Strawberry Cocktails - The winner is: Fresa Caliente
- July: Frozen Cocktails - The winner is: Sriracha Mexican Rodeo
- August: Lemonade Drinks - The winner is: Borrachon Cocktail
- September: Apple Cocktails - The winner is: Candy Appley
- October: Pear Cocktails - The winner is: Peary Bird
- November: Holiday Cocktails - The winner is: JMW's Poinsettia Punch
- December: New Year's Cocktails - The winner is: The Clean Slate
Read the full results from the 2011 & 2012 contests...
- October 2012: Halloween Cocktails - The winner is Skeleton Key
- June/July 2012: Mocktails - The winner is The Great Gazoo
- May 2012: Vodka Cocktails - The winner is Goose in Spring
- November 2011: Gin Cocktails - The winner is The 5/25
- September 2011: Infused Spirits Cocktails - The winner is The Marriage of Figaro
- July/Aug 2011: Absinthe Cocktails - The winner is La Dame Blasée
- May/June 2011: Grapefruit Cocktails - The winner is It's About That Time
- March/April 2011: Spring Cocktails - The winner is La Primavera
- January 2011: Hot Cocktails - The winner is Torii Toddy
Read the full results from the 2010 contests...
- November 2010: Scotch Cocktails - The winner is Scotch Lassie
- October 2010: Cinnamon Cocktails - The winner is Admiral Perry
- September 2010: Pumpkin Cocktails - The winner is The Homecoming
- August 2010: Bourbon Cocktails - The winner is Georgia On My Mind
- July 2010: Light Rum Cocktails - The winner is Tom Yang Light Martini
- June 2010: Pineapple Cocktails - The winner is the Épicé Sidecar
- May 2010: Tequila Cocktails - The winner is the Pom Padre
Here are the details:
- All cocktails must be original and created by the person who submits it. Variations on classic or common cocktails will be accepted (i.e. the Cocoa Old-fashioned and Reposado Old-fashioned would be acceptable variations on the classic Old-fashioned, an Old-fashioned with a specific bourbon brand and no other changes would not). As the panel cannot possibly know every drink ever made you are on your honor, though we will be able to catch common reproductions.
- The contest is open to all levels of expertise from beginning home bartenders to professionals and all will be judged fairly with no consideration of skill level.
- Photographs of the drink submitted are encouraged.
- Cocktails must adhere to the theme of that month or they will not be accepted.
- Non-alcoholic mixed drinks will be accepted if they are fitting to the theme. Obviously, a mocktail will not work for a "Tequila Cocktail" contest, but one may be submitted for a "Pomegranate Cocktail" contest.
- If I have any questions about your drink submission I may contact you via email.
- At the beginning of each month (or bi-monthly) a new contest theme will be announced and the contest will be open through the end of the month. Specific deadline days are set each month and may not specifically adhere to the dates on the calendar. Check the open contest for the specific deadline.
- After the deadline day for that month the contest will be closed to further submissions.
- I reserve the right to reject or edit any submissions, though I will leave accepted cocktail recipes intact.
- Submitting your name and website are optional. I will encourage the winning bartender to reveal these details, though it is not required.
- Please only submit cocktail recipes using the online form (see above for current form). If I receive them via email I will ask you to use the form anyway so it saves us all some time and effort.
The Winning Cocktail:
Of the submissions received each month I will choose the top three cocktails and submit those to my panel of bartending experts for tasting and review. Together the panel will decide which drink wins top honors for that month. The winning cocktail will be featured in my blog and the recipe will be placed permanently in my cocktail collection on About.com Cocktails with full credit and any relevant links going to the drink's creator.