Every autumn, as innate tastes change with the season, people seek out pumpkin flavored cocktails. It is a unique flavor in a cocktail and, while not the most versatile, can be found in everything from a variety of pumpkin martinis to punches that are perfect for the holidays.
To get the pumpkin into your cocktails you have a few options including pumpkin butter, pumpkin syrup, pumpkin seeds, pumpkin puree, or pumpkin liqueur and the list below includes each. For any of these pumpkin pie spice could be lightly sprinkled on top of the drink (such as you would with nutmeg) for a seasonal garnish. Also, at the bottom you will find a few food recipes with pumpkin and liquor.
These drinks use either fresh pumpkin (seeds or flesh) or a pumpkin butter or syrup (such as Monin), or a pumpkin spice.
- Calabatini - pumpkin spice syrup
- Falling Leaf Fizz - butter
- Homecoming - butter
- Jack-o-Lantern Punch - toasted pumpkin seeds
- Polished Princess - pumpkin spice
- Pumpkin Carver - butter
- Pumpkin Divine - butter
- Pumpkin Old Fashioned - puree
- Pumpkin Patch - pumpkin spice
- Pumpkin Punch - butter
- Pumpkin Shandy - butter and ale
- Pumpkin Spice - puree
Pumpkin Liquor Cocktails:
Rarely can you find a pumpkin-flavored liquor because it is a very seasonal flavor and because of this few liquor companies take on the challenge. However, a few do and some come and go rather quickly and once you find a great one, it seems to go away. An exception to this is Hiram Walker Pumpkin Spice Liqueur, which is relatively easy to find in the fall and winter (at least as of 2009). One of my favorites is Modern Spirit's seasonal Pumpkin Pie Vodka, which is currently out of production.
Pinnacle Pumpkin Pie Vodka, seems to be one of the regulars when it comes to the seasonal offering of a pumpkin vodka, as the brand has released it two years in a row as of 2013. There may be others that come out as the dessert vodka trend continues. Search your liquor store shelves for the season's current selections as it is difficult to keep up with this tricky flavor.
Another option, with vodka at least, is to infuse your own and the Spiced Pumpkin Martini recipe below includes one method for doing this. The Great Pumpkin recipe also includes a Scotch infusion recipe.
- Ghost-tini - liqueur
- Great Pumpkin - pumpkin Scotch whisky (with recipe)
- Halloween Brew - pumpkin pie vodka
- Pumpkin Fever - liqueur
- Pumpkin Martini - liqueur or pumpkin spice syrup
- Pumpkin Pie Martini - liqueur
- Pumpkin Spice Martini - liqueur
- Spiced Pumpkin - pumpkin pie vodka
- Spiced Pumpkin Martini - pumpkin vodka (with recipe)
- Thanksgiving Cider - pumpkin pie vodka
"Spiked" Pumpkin Food Recipes:
Baking with both pumpkin and distilled spirits can create some fantastic foods and these few recipes prove that.
- Baked Spicy Pumpkin and Rum Cheesecake
- Kahlua Pumpkin Pie - from Peggy Trowbridge Filippone, About.com Guide to Home Cooking
- Rum Raisin Pumpkin Bread - from Elizabeth Yetter, About.com Guide to Bread Baking
- Spice Pumpkin Tiramisu - from Carroll Pellegrinelli, About.com Guide to Baking
This collection of cocktail recipes is an ongoing project and is updated regularly.