Ah, the Shandy. A lovely beer drink that is perfect on a hot summer day. Do you ever miss that sweet lemon beer when autumn hits? Well, it is as easy as adapting the drink to the season and this Pumpkin Shandy is one of the better options. It also happens to be one of the easiest pumpkin cocktails I have seen to date.
In this shandy, Cointreau Master Mixologist Kyle Ford has combined the orange liqueur with two pumpkin-flavored ingredients: pumpkin butter and pumpkin ale. Both have the pumpkin pie spice mix, which, as Bryce Eddings points out in Pondering Pumpkin Ale, is the key to making pumpkin taste as we have come to expect it. The citrus ingredients here are used to back up and enhance the pumpkin, and when it all comes together the result is one fine shandy.
Prep Time: 3 minutes
Total Time: 3 minutes
Yield: 1 Cocktail
- 1 ounce Cointreau orange liqueur
- 1 ounce fresh lemon juice
- 1 barspoon pumpkin butter
- 4-5 ounces pumpkin ale
- Fresh grated nutmeg for garnish
- Add Cointreau, lemon juice, pumpkin butter and ice to a mixing glass.
- Shake and fine-strain over ice in a highball glass.
- Top with beer and garnish with fresh grated nutmeg.
Would you like to receive cocktail tips and recipes every week? Sign up for the free cocktail newsletter and recipe of the week here and get the latest edition sent directly to your email.