It begins with Gekkeikan Haiku, one of the more readily available sakes in the U.S., and a dash of Tabasco with grapefruit for that spicy-citrus flavor that goes so well with sake. The sweetener options are a matter of choice and I've tried it with both agave nectar and Barenjager, finding that both are excellent options that I encourage you to explore. This is a fantastic pre-sushi drink.
Prep Time: 3 minutes
Total Time: 3 minutes
Yield: 1 Cocktail
- 3 parts Gekkeikan Haiku Sake
- 2 slices fresh grapefruit
- 1/2 part fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 part agave nectar or Bärenjäger
- 2 dashes green Tabasco®
- Mint sprig for garnish
- Muddle grapefruit and Tabasco in a cocktail shaker.
- Add Gekkeikan Haiku sake, lemon juice and agave nectar/Bärenjäger.
- Shake vigorously.
- Strain into a old-fashioned glass filled with ice and garnish with a mint sprig.
Would you like to receive cocktail tips and recipes every week? Sign up for the free cocktail newsletter and recipe of the week here and get the latest edition sent directly to your email.