Here's a great recipe for adapting the classic Whiskey Sour drink into a Jelly Shot. You can also use lemon-flavored gelatin, but this can be too sour. If you do opt for that, cut the lemon juice and add a little more simple syrup.
Try this recipe to get the hang of making more complex Jell-O Shots then adapt your other favorite cocktails into these party favorites.
This recipe is for a single, 3 ounce box of gelatin, which is the most common size. It will make about 16 1-ounce shots and you can multiply the recipe to make more or to fit bigger cups.
Prep Time: 2 hours, 20 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours, 20 minutes
Yield: 16 1-ounce shots
- 1 3-ounce package unflavored gelatin
- 1 cup boiling water
- 3 ounces whiskey
- 2 ounces lemon juice
- 1 ounce simple syrup
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Food coloring (optional)
- Mix the whiskey, lemon juice, and simple syrup with cold water and chill in the refrigerator so they are a consistent temperature.
- Pour gelatin into a bowl.
- Add boiling water, stirring until the gelatin is completely dissolved.
- Stir in chilled liquor and water mix and food coloring (optional).
- Pour into shot glasses, molds, or a baking pan for a sheet of gelatin to cut up once set. Tip: The small, plastic shot cups are perfect because the drinker can just squeeze the shot out.
- Refrigerate until the liquid sets. (At least 2 hours, but overnight refrigeration is recommended)
- Serve cold.
Would you like to receive cocktail tips and recipes every week? Sign up for the free cocktail newsletter and recipe of the week here and get the latest edition sent directly to your email.