These shrimp tacos are great for Cinco de Mayo parties or anytime you want to add a little spice to an otherwise ordinary taco night. They're actually very easy and, since shrimp cook fast, very quick to prepare. When cooking with any type of alcoholic beverage you want to be careful with the heat as it could cause flames or a small flare. That is why it is very important to remove the shrimp pan from the stove, then add the tequila and beer, wait a minute and then finish cooking.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 lb peeled, uncooked shrimp cut into smallish pieces
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced fine
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped fine
- peanut oil, for sauteing
- 1/4 cup Tequila Herradura Silver
- 1/4 cup Newcastle Brown Ale
- 10 corn tortillas, warmed
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup purple cabbage, shredded fine
- favorite hot sauce
- Combine shrimp, cilantro and garlic in a medium bowl - mix well and let sit about 10 minutes. If you have more time to marinate, just put them in the fridge.
- Heat a non-stick pan really well and then add about 1 Tbsp peanut oil.
- Add shrimp and stir fry quickly - they'll cook fast!
- When the shrimp are almost cooked, remove from heat (you don't want a flame-up) and add the Tequila Herradura Silver and Newcastle Brown Ale. Mix gently.
- After about a minute, return to the heat and stir well.
- Serve by putting sour cream on a tortilla, add a little cabbage, the shrimp and a final drizzle of the hot sauce.
Recipe makes 10 shrimp tacos.