The Foghorn is one of the great classics that the Waldorf-Astoria made famous. Traditionally, Old Tom gin was used, but modern interpretations have resorted to a London Dry. My preference remains with Old Tom and ginger beer, a combination is prefect for my taste. That said, all options for this drink (Old Tom vs. London Dry and ginger beer vs. ginger ale) are very refreshing.
The drink is similar to a Gin Buck, so if you enjoy that highball, it's likely that you will enjoy the Foghorn (or similar classics like the Dragonfly - or Prohibition Cocktail - with no lime juice and champagne, and the Leap Frog, which uses lemon instead of lime).
Prep Time: 3 minutes
Total Time: 3 minutes
Yield: 1 Cocktail
- 2 ounces gin (or Old Tom Gin)
- 1/2 ounce fresh lime juice
- Ginger ale or ginger beer to fill
- Lime wedge to garnish
- Pour the gin and lime juice into an ice-filled old-fashioned glass.
- Stir well.
- Top with ginger beer or ginger ale.
- Stir gently.
- Garnish with a lime wedge and stir stick.
Would you like to receive cocktail tips and recipes every week? Sign up for the free cocktail newsletter and recipe of the week here and get the latest edition sent directly to your email.