If you use a regular punch bowl you will want to ensure it is heat resistant as many glass bowls will crack.
Prep Time: 2 hours
Total Time: 2 hours
Yield: 1 Punch Bowl
- The peel of 6 lemons, each cut in a 1/2-inch wide spiral with a vegetable peeler
- 1 large lemon or 2 small ones, sliced into thin wheels and de-seeded (discard ends).
- 8 oz (1 cup) Demerara or Turbinado sugar (“Sugar in the Raw”)
- 25 oz/1 750-ml bottle Bols Genever
- Spice mix: 2 teaspoons fresh-ground nutmeg to 1 teaspoon each fresh-ground allspice and cloves.
- 32 oz (1 quart) boiling water
- In a heatproof bowl, muddle the lemon peels and the sugar together and let sit for at least 90 minutes.
- Then muddle again and add 8 oz (1 cup) of the boiling water, stirring until sugar has dissolved.
- Fish out or strain out the lemon peels.
- Add the genever and stir.
To serve, transfer into crock-pot or heated earthenware jug (to heat jug, rinse with boiling water), add 24 oz boiling water, lemon slices and spice mix (add this sparingly to taste—1 teaspoon is plenty).
Ladle out also sparingly—2 1/2 oz cups should be fine.