It's About That Time is the creation of Andrew Pollard, who submitted this recipe to the Grapefruit Cocktail Contest (May/June 2011). The cocktail took top honors because of its creative use of not only of the main ingredient, but of the flavor combination as a whole. All of us agreed that this is a truly lovely cocktail.
The drink may seem complicated at first, yet if you break it down in parts it is not as daunting as one may think. The Spiced Grapefruit Sour can be made ahead of time and used in other cocktails as well, and the bitters are essentially placed in a atomizer and sprayed over a brulee torch.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 5 minutes
Yield: 1 Cocktail
- 2 oz Tanqueray 10 (Beefeater 24 or Oxley are also great options depending on availability).
- 1/2 oz Campari
- 2 oz Spiced Grapefruit Sour*
- 8- 10 Mint Leaves
- Tonic water (Hansens is suggested)
- 3 pumps - Atomized caramelized Grapefruit Bitters**
- Mint Sprig for garnish
- Muddle the mint and grapefruit sour in a chimney collins glass.
- Add gin, Campari, and fill the glass with ice.
- Stir well.
- Top with tonic water.
- Add bitters (see below for technique).
- Garnish with a sprig of mint.
*Spiced Grapefruit Sour (per cocktail)Ginger extract that is pressed through an extractor. Steep on low for 30 min. Fine strain and chill until needed.
**Caramelized Grapefruit Bitters
In a glass atomizer add Grapefruit Bitters. Once cocktail is a finished, proceed to ignite a brulee torch and spray bitters simultaneously. This effect intensifies the aromatic value of the bitters.
Recipe Courtesy: Andrew Pollard