It is the gin that brings this cocktail out of the shadows of similar sweet drinks because its botanicals add a depth of flavor that vodka (which is more common) cannot add. When laid against the sweet peppermint syrup and cream base, the gin gives that necessary contrast that is missing in so many other recipes of this sort.
Another aspect of this recipe that I really enjoy is the peppermint syrup, which is made from crushed candy canes and can be a perfect holiday compliment to a number of other drinks as well.
Prep Time: 3 minutes
Simple Syrup: 20 minutes
Total Time: 23 minutes
Yield: 1 Cocktail
- 2 ounces Citadelle Gin
- 1 ounce heavy cream
- 1/2 an egg white
- 2 ounces peppermint simple syrup* (recipe below)
- Crushed candy canes
- Rim a chilled cocktail glass with crushed candy canes, using the peppermint syrup to wet the rim.
- Pour the ingredients into a cocktail shaker filled with ice.
- Shake vigorously (at least 30 seconds to ensure the egg is properly mixed and the drink is frothy).
- Strain into the prepared cocktail glass.
*Peppermint Simple Syrup:
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 10 large red/white peppermint candy canes, crushed
- Combine all ingredients in a sauce pot.
- Dissolve sugar and candies on medium heat, stirring continuously.
- After sugar and candy has dissolved, bring to a boil until syrup begins to thicken, about 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow syrup to cool.
Would you like to receive cocktail tips and recipes every week? Sign up for the free cocktail newsletter and recipe of the week here and get the latest edition sent directly to your email.