If you are looking for an impressive sparkling cocktail to celebrate the holiday season, this recipe from Jackson Cannon of The Hawthorne in Boston is a great candidate. It uses a very fine gin, Berry Bros. No. 3, and an amazing cranberry puree, a touch of sweet syrup, and is topped off with your favorite sparkling wine. It is a cocktail designed to make a grand impression on all of your guests.
The Scarlett Letter recipe is actually a very easy one as long as you prepare ahead of time. The honey syrup is simply 1:1 honey and water, mixed together and bottled. The cranberry puree takes about 20 minutes to make up and once it is cooled it can also be bottled up and ready for use when you are going to mix up a round.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 1 Cocktail
- 1 3/4 ounces No. 3 Gin
- 1 ounce cranberry puree* (recipe below)
- 3/4 ounce honey syrup
- 1 1/2 ounces sparkling wine
- Pour the gin, puree, and syrup into a cocktail shaker filled with ice.
- Shake well.
- Strain into a chilled Champagne flute.
- Top with sparkling wine.
- 16 ounce bag fresh cranberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- Dash of cloves
- Zest of 1 orange
- Add cranberries, sugar, bay leaf, and cloves to a saucepan. Add enough water to cover the berries.
- Simmer on low heat until the berries have burst and the pot shows a fairly even consistency.
- Remove from heat and remove the bay leaf.
- Add the orange zest and puree in a food processor or blender.
Would you like to receive cocktail tips and recipes every week? Sign up for the free cocktail newsletter and recipe of the week here and get the latest edition sent directly to your email.