The Aviation Cocktail is one of those with a mysterious past. We really don't know who first created it but, according to David Wondrich's Imbibe!, it was first printed in a 1916 book by Hugo Ensslin called Recipes for Mixed Drinks. The drink has remained popular over the years and recently became one of the classics for aficionado imbibers to try.
Until recently, the creme de violette was often left out of the mix, but even the smallest amount of the liqueur adds depth and color to the cocktail.
Prep Time: 3 minutes
Total Time: 3 minutes
Yield: 1 Cocktail
- 2 ounces gin
- 1/4 ounce maraschino liqueur
- 1/2 ounce fresh lemon juice
- Dash of creme de violette
- Flamed lemon peel for garnish
- Pour the ingredients into a cocktail shaker filled with ice.
- Shake well.
- Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
- Garnish with a flamed lemon peel.
Would you like to receive cocktail tips and recipes every week? Sign up for the free cocktail newsletter and recipe of the week here and get the latest edition sent directly to your email.