Gin, grapes, ginger and the "green fairy." That is the base for the Charmides cocktail created by Marcos Tello from The Doheney in Los Angeles.
The flavor combination of the drink is fantastic and the name alludes to a poem by the drink's inspiration, Oscar Wilde. Like all of the muses of the Pernod Absinthe cocktail series (links below the recipe), Wilde was known for his taste for absinthe and I'd like to think that the beauty of this cocktail would not have escaped his fancy.
Prep Time: 3 minutes
Total Time: 3 minutes
Yield: 1 Cocktail
- 1 1/2 part Beefeater Gin
- 1 part Pernod Absinthe
- Seedless green grapes
- 1 dash of Angostura bitters
- 3/4 part ginger syrup
- 1/2 part fresh lime juice
- Soda water
- Candied ginger
- Muddle grapes, Pernod Absinthe and bitters.
- Add gin, ginger syrup and lime juice.
- Shake and strain into an ice-filled collins glass, top with soda water.
- Garnish with grapes and candied ginger.
Recipe Courtesy: Pernod Absinthe
Would you like to receive cocktail tips and recipes every week? Sign up for the free cocktail newsletter and recipe of the week here and get the latest edition sent directly to your email.