What is RumChata?:
RumChata is a cream liqueur that has become very popular since its release in 2009. It is made from a blend of five-time distilled Caribbean rums with Wisconsin dairy cream and flavored with cinnamon, vanilla, and other 'secret flavors.'
The inspiration for RumChata is horchata, a very popular drink in Mexico and Spain that actually dates back to the time of ancient Egyptians. In Egypt and Spain the chufa nut was ground with water, cinnamon, and sugar to make a drink that has the look of milk. When the recipe came to Mexico rice was used in place of the nut. Traditionally, horchata does not contain dairy products, though RumChata liqueur does.
RumChata contains homogenized cream and does not need to be refrigerated. An open bottle can be stored at room temperature for about 6 months.
Drinking RumChata Cream Liqueur:
Since its introduction, RumChata has found many fans throughout the United States. Its rich, smooth taste and spice blend make it an excellent addition to a variety of drinks.
Curdling is one issue that arises with RumChata because it uses real cream. When mixed with high acid and citric acid mixers such as fruit juices and many sodas, the cream will curdle. This does not effect the taste or safety of the drink, it is simply visually unappealing and an aspect to be aware of when mixing with RumChata. One of the popular RumChata drinks is mixing it with root beer and the people at RumChata have experimented with this issue and found A&W and Dad's be the best non-curdling choices. Other sodas may also work, one just needs to experiment.
- Banana Cream Pie
- Lemon Cake
- Mint ChocoChata Martini
- Pumpkin Pie Martini
- RumChata Martini - 2 parts RumChata, 1 part vanilla vodka, shaken and served in a cocktail glass
Yet another interesting idea is to add RumChata to this Tequila Rice Milk recipe submitted to one of the cocktail contests by Carlos Antonio Garcia of TequilaMusings.com. His recipe was also inspired by horchata, so the combination may be a good fit.
- Rum-based cream liqueur made with Wisconsin dairy cream and flavored with cinnamon, vanilla, sugar, and other proprietary natural and artificial flavors.
- Retails for around $19.95/750ml bottle
- 13.75% alc/volume (27.5 proof)
- Produced and bottled by Agave Loco Brands, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
- Released in 2009
- Visit their website: RumChata.com
- RumChata won Best Liqueur in the 2013 About.com Readers' Choice Awards.