Rock and Rye whiskey is simply a combination of rye whiskey and rock sugar candy that have been combined. Oftentimes, Rock and Rye is sold commercially, but it is exceptionally easy to make at home and is a far superior product to commercial packaged options. Using a good rye whiskey is essential, Wild Turkey, Jim Beam and Rittenhouse rye whiskies would all be great choices. The rock candy cuts the spice notes of the rye whiskey, creating a softer, more elegant whiskey that can easily be sipped on the rocks or mixed in to your favorite cocktail. Try this in a Tom Collins cocktail for a refreshingly simple variation.
Yield: 1 bottle Rock and Rye whiskey
- 1 750ml bottle of good rye whiskey
- 6 oz rock candy
- orange slices (optional)
- maraschino cherries (optional)
- lemon slices (optional)
- In a large, nonreactive container, add whiskey and rock candy.
- Add fruit slices if desired.
- Allow to steep for at least one week in a cool, dry place.
- The longer the rock candy sits in the whiskey, the more the flavors will begin to meld.
- Serve in your favorite cocktail or on its own.