The Bottom Line
- Lists the most popular drinks of the era.
- Short trivia and facts listed on the side of each page, relative to the subject of that page
- Easy to follow instructions for mastering the art of flair bartending.
- Practical advice for both home and professional bartenders.
- Expanded appendix filled with necessary tables and information.
- 214 page paperback book
- Written by: Cheryl Charming (aka Miss Charming)
- Published by: Sourcebooks Inc, December 15, 2006
- Suggested Retail Price: $14.95 US
Guide Review - Miss Charming's Guide for Hip Bartenders and Wayout Wannabes
Charming's newest book is absolutely perfect for today's busy world filled with distractions of all kinds. It is succinct, to the point and just a plain old fun book to read, filled with all the information a modern bartender needs to know to make it in the biz. The book is outlined like almost any other bartending guide: history, information on spirits and other base ingredients, popular drinks, tricks and tips, etc. Where this book stands out is in Charming's conversational writing style that is to the point and deals with real life. The drinks to know section is invaluable for today's bartenders and the appendixes are filled with information any mixing enthusiast should know. The layout of this paperback guide is nicely defined and consistent with the margins of almost every page containing tidbits of trivia, definitions and examples that are relevant to the subject matter discussed on that page. It is a quick, easy read, but one that should be kept at hand for easy reference.
Aspiring bartenders will find this book a necessary resource for learning the ropes behind the stick. Charming takes her years of professional experience and relays it in a practical form; from the simplest tricks like keeping your head up, knowing what or who is behind you and how to pronounce some of the more difficult words in the drink world to the more advanced flair bartending techniques and simple ways to impress customers with the extra touches like flower napkins, chocolate writing and rainbow shooters. This is the next best thing to learning from Miss Charming in person.