- Fill a mixing glass half way with ice. Use the base of a cocktail shaker or a highball glass if no mixing glass is available.
- Add liquors and other cocktail ingredients.
- Hold a bar spoon at the top of the twisted part of the shaft between your thumb and first two fingers.
Technique #1: Dunk the bar spoon into the glass and twirl the shaft back and forth and up and down for 20-30 seconds.
Technique #2: Place the bar spoon along the inside of the glass and gently rotate, moving only your wrist, it around the outer edge for 20-30 seconds.
- Strain the cocktail into a well-chilled glass appropriate for the cocktail.
- When making mixed drinks (built in glass over ice) most bartenders will either leave the drink as is or give the drink a stir or two, but will usually include a sip stick or straw for the drinker to stir as desired.
- If no bar spoon is available, use the longest spoon possible and slowly stir it around the glass as well as up and down.
- Diluting the ice into the cocktail is essential to water down the alcohol just enough to make it palatable.
What You Need
- Mixing Glass, Base of a Cocktail Shaker or Highball Glass
- Bar Spoon
- Cocktail Ingredients