If your kids love lemonade or want to make a lemonade stand, this is a far healthier alternative to the sugar-laden dry mixes you can buy at the store which take forever to dilute properly and they can mix it up themselves (with supervision, of course).
This recipe is written in parts and can be used to make anywhere from a single drink to a large batch that will quench the thirst of the entire neighborhood. All you have to do is keep the ratios in tact. To have the best lemonade, choose organic lemons and sugar.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 5 minutes
Yield: As much as you need
- 2 parts distilled water
- 1 part fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 part simple syrup
- Pour the ingredients into a cocktail shaker filled with ice.
- Shake well.
- Strain into a chilled highball glass filled with fresh ice.
- Prepare the Lemons - To get the most juice out of your lemons allow the fruit to warm up to room temperature and roll them under the palm of your hand, applying gentle but firm pressure, on the counter top before cutting.
- Play with Infusions - Add a subtle flavor to your lemonade by using an infused simple syrup or infused ice cubes such as those in this Rosemary Lemonade recipe or the Rio Bravo Lemonade.
- Mixing a Large Batch - Obviously, it is difficult to shake a large amount of lemonade in a cocktail shaker so you need to use an alternative. I find that the easiest way to get the best results is to shake the lemon juice and simple syrup, then stir it into the water in the serving container. Another option is to reuse a clean juice bottle, add the ingredients with ice and secure the lid prior to shaking.
- Make Limeade - Switch the lemons for limes and you have homemade limeade for drinks such as this Green Lemonade and Coconut Key Lime Momtini.
Drink recipes that include lemonade:
- Arnold Palmer (non-alcoholic)
- Belmont Jewel
- Berried Treasure
- Cran Dandy Shandy (non-alcoholic)
- Gold Mine
- Green Lemonade (non-alcoholic)
- Hello Kitty
- Honey Deuce
- London Cup
- Muddled Rebuttal
- Packer's Punch
- Pimm's Cup
- Preggie Provençe (non-alcoholic)
- Red Stag Lemonade
- Rosemary Lemonade
- Royal Wedding Punch
- Sparkling Shamrock
- Strawberry Berryoska
- Strawberry Lemonade (non-alcoholic)
- Summertime Fruit Punch Lemonade
- Sweet Ben's Pink Lemonade
- Witch Hunt
- Zombie's Punch
For more lemonade cocktails, browse the entries of the August 2013 Lemonade Cocktail Contest.