This recipe makes 27 individual drinks when served in white wine glasses making it a perfect holiday party punch. As with any drink that is flamed, caution should be taken when making English Christmas Punch and igniting the ladle filled with rum.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 27 Drinks
- 750 mL bottle dark rum
- 750 mL bottle dry red wine
- 3 cups strong tea
- 1 lb superfine sugar
- Juice of 1 large orange
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Heat, but do not allow to boil, the wine, tea, lemon and orange juices in a saucepan or chafing dish.
- Pour the heated mix into a heat proof punch bowl.
- Place as much sugar as possible into a large ladle and any excess sugar into the punch bowl.
- Saturate the sugar in the ladle with rum.
- Ignite the rum and sugar in the ladle and pour it while still aflame into the punch.
- Stir well and extinguish the flames.
- Pour the remainder of the rum into the punch.
- Stir well.
- Serve in white wine glasses.