This recipe for a Flor de Caña Flip Flop Punch is one of the most interesting punches that I have found, though it remains extremely easy. It is the creation of New York Mixologist Phil Ward and features Flor de Caña's 4-year old rum, a popular brand from Nicaragua.
However, Ward did not leave the rum as bottled, but instead quickly infuses it with chamomile tea (instructions below) and it is fabulous with the lemon and grapefruit of the punch.
You will notice that the recipe is for a single serving, though it can easily be multiplied for exactly the number of people you plan to serve.
Prep Time: 1 hour, 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 45 minutes
Yield: 1 Cocktail
- 2 ounces chamomile-infused Flor de Cana 4-year old rum (*recipe below)
- 4 sugar cubes
- 1 ounce lemon juice
- 1 1/2 ounces grapefruit juice
- 3 ounces club soda
- Grapefruit slices for garnish
- Dissolve 4 sugar cubes in 1 ounce of club soda (this generally involves muddling to help process).
- Add the rest of the ingredients one at a time and stir as added., then add ice.
- Stir the punch until it is thoroughly chilled.
- Strain punch into a glass or punch bowl (depending on the size of the portion) top with the remaining club soda.
- Garnish with grapefruit slices.
*To Make Chamomile-infused Rum:
Add 4 barspoons of chamomile tea to one bottle of rum. Let the concoction sit for an hour and forty five minutes and then strain out the tea. Save the bottle for storage.
Would you like to receive cocktail tips and recipes every week? Sign up for the free cocktail newsletter and recipe of the week here and get the latest edition sent directly to your email.