Phil Ward of Mayahuel in New York City created this tasty rum punch for the 2009 autumn season. It's interesting because it is simple but brings together a fantastic aged rum by Flor De Cana with almost every taste of the season.
The recipe below is for a single cocktail, but it can easily be transformed into a party punch by multiplying the quantities by the number of drinks you expect to serve. Also, for the ultimate Halloween party touch, hollow out a pumpkin and use that as a punch bowl - it also adds a little more pumpkin flavor.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 1 Cocktail or Punchbowl
- 2 ounces Flor De Caña 7-year Grand Reserve Rum
- 4 sugar cubes
- 3 ounces club soda
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 pinch of fresh nutmeg
- 1 ounces lemon juice
- 2 ounces apple juice
- Toasted pumpkin seeds (optional)
- Apple slices, cinnamon sticks and pumpkin seeds for garnish
- Dissolve the sugar cubes in 1 ounce of club soda.
- Add cloves and muddle until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, one at a time, stirring as each is added.
- Add ice and stir until well chilled.
- Strain the punch into a glass (or punchbowl if you're going for quantity).
- Top with 2 ounces of club soda.
- Garnish with apple slices, cinnamon sticks and pumpkin seeds.
Would you like to receive cocktail tips and recipes every week? Sign up for the free cocktail newsletter and recipe of the week here and get the latest edition sent directly to your email.