The Bottom Line
- Perfect Halloween vodka or anytime a black cocktail is called for.
- Creates nicely defined layers when poured slowly on top of a mixer.
- The coloring ingredient is not supposed to change the flavor but it does.
- Has a long lasting herby-medicinal aftertaste.
- Black catechu is used to make Blavod black. It is an extract found in Uncaria Gambier trees of Asia.
- 80 proof, neutral grain vodka
- Distilled by Blavod Drinks Ltd. of London.
- Around $30 for 750mL bottle.
Guide Review - Blavod: The Black Vodka
The herbal extract catechu is responsible for the blackish-violet hue of Blavod and although touted as having no significant effect of taste, there is a notable herbal finish that is not found in clear vodkas. Blavod is an extremely smooth vodka with clean undertones of dark berries and the ever-so-slight hint of cloves and anise. This heady spirit emits an intriguing sweet citrus, woody and flowery aroma that can do no more than entice one to have a sip.
One of the best qualities of Blavod is its ability to create wonderful layers in a drink. The Black Widow and October Screwdriver are testaments to the vodka's dexterity to turn a common cocktail into a ghoulishly stylin' libation. For quick Halloween themed cocktails that never fail to be the talk of any gathering have a bottle of Blavod on hand and use it in any vodka drink to create a little extra atmosphere.
More Blavod Cocktails: