The Bottom Line
Ecstasy is back and making a splash in the clubs of the US. It's not the illegal club drug that you may immediately think of either, it's an ultra-chic liqueur with a jolt. Ecstasy is one of the newest spirits that are following the energy craze by including natural stimulants in its formula. While the guarana, taurine and ginseng do not make this spirit a very good nightcap, the sweet pomegranate and lemon flavors do make some great cocktails.
- Caffeinated liqueur for the chic, all night party
- Higher proof liqueur that can replace white spirits in cocktails
- Many of the hottest clubs have Ecstasy behind the bar
- Don't recommend drinking within 3 hours before you want to sleep
- Awkward brand name for ordering a drink
- Limited availability
- The energizing effects may mask your realization of how intoxicated you are
- Retails for around $40 per 750ml bottle
- Wheat grain alcohol with lemon and pomegranate extracts, ginseng, taurine and guarana.
- 35% alcohol/volume (70 proof)
- Released in 2006
- Produced by Encore Brands
Guide Review - Ecstasy Liqueur
Ecstasy is described as an "enhanced spirit." It's not a really a vodka, rum, gin or any of the other main spirits. Yet it's unlike most of the other liqueurs
in that it contains twice the alcohol per volume than many of them, making it a great base for cocktails and increasing its potential of replacing those main spirits. The super premium liqueur is a wheat-based grain alcohol flavored with lemon and pomegranate extracts which create a sweet, clean flavor blend that pairs nicely with Champagne, vodka and fruit juices. And while the flavor is finely crafted, the stimulating factor is where this spirit makes a mark. The added guarana, taurine and ginseng shake up for stimulating drinks with that caffeinated zing that keeps you going all night. This liqueur is perfect for the Vodka Redbull drinker who wants to fancy it up and go down the chic cocktail lane.
Enjoy Ecstasy Liqueur:
- On the rocks
- Ecstasy Martini- equal parts vodka and Ecstasy, shaken and strained
- Ecstasy Shampoo- 1 1/2 oz Ecstasy in a Champagne glass, filled with Champagne
- Ecstasy Bomb- 1 1/2 oz Ecstasy dropped in a glass filled with an energy drink