The Bottom Line
- Stunning bottle design that says luxury, luxury, luxury.
- A gauranteed conversation starter when showing up at a party, bottle in hand.
- Dissappointing overall considering the brand name.
- Heady, alcoholic taste that feels as though too much will produce a not-so-luxurious hangover.
- Distilled five times from select European wheat, carbon filtered twice.
- Produced in Holland by Wanders Distillery (est. 1631): Master Distiller, Jacques De Lat.
- Gold crafted bottle designed by Milton Glaser.
- Imported by Donald Trump and Drinks Americas Holdings Ltd.
- Price: $30-40 per 1-liter bottle
Guide Review - Trump Vodka
Behind the vodka:
Third generation master distiller, Jacques de Lat, at the Wanders Distillery in Holland, distills Trump Vodka. Unlike most vodkas, which use neutral grains as a base, Trump is distilled five times from select European wheat and stored in stainless steel tanks for 6 months. The distillate is then filtered through a carbon filtration process twice, run through a 9-column filtration process and carbon filtered twice more before resting in stainless steel tanks prior to bottling.
The bottle itself is spectacular and it's evident that all of the Trump marketing was put to good use in its design. The golden bottle is a reminder of the power behind the Trump name and is reminiscent of the skyscrapers the real estate mogul is famous for constructing. Luxury is defined in the bottle by clean lines, two sides with a gold facade and a capital "T" on each side, ensuring one does not forget whose vodka they are drinking.
The thin, clear spirit bears a clean, granular fragrance clearly defined by the wheat it was produced from. A smooth, transparent entry is a pleasant introduction to the warm palate that follows, which notably lacks any distinguishable flavor. As pleasant as all that sounds, the finish is disappointingly harsh with a lasting burn that is also nearly transparent, if not for the citrus undertone that stings the tongue.
Drinking this vodka straight is not recommended, nor would I recommend the branded cocktails like the T&T (Trump & Tonic) or Trumptini.. Trump begs to be mixed, and mixed into cocktails with an abundance of flavor: Dirty Vodka Martini, Kissy Suzuki, Sex on the Beach and the like. Also note that limiting the number of "Trumped" drinks consumed in an evening is recommended as the liquor is very heady and is sure to produce one high-dollar hangover.