Liqueurs are often used in addition to the base spirits as flavoring agents that contain alcohol, though on occasion they are the only distilled spirits used (see liqueur only recipes). The great thing about liqueurs is that a bottle can last quite a long time so you can gradually add to your stock as you see fit.
The first list are the most common liqueurs that you should consider absolutely essential when stocking your bar.
- Coffee Liqueur (e.g. Kahlua)
- Dry and Sweet Vermouth
- Irish Cream Liqueur
- Maraschino Liqueur
- Orange Liqueur (e.g. triple sec, Cointreau, Curaçao)
A secondary list of essential liqueurs includes those below. Your drinking style is going to determine if these should be stocked in your bar as well.
- Chambord (or other raspberry liqueur)
- Crème de Cacao (or another chocolate liqueur)
- Crème de Menthe
- Domaine de Canton Ginger Liqueur
- St. Germain Elderflower Liqueur
Users Respond: Which Liqueurs are Essential in Your Bar?