The Bloody Maria is a favorite rendition of a Bloody Mary. The only difference between the two is that this one uses tequila instead of vodka and that single tweak makes a noticeable difference in the flavor. Unlike vodka, which gets lost in this heavily flavored, spicy drink, the tequila in the background stands out, adding a vegetal earthiness that only this liquor can produce.
From personal experience, the first time I had a Bloody Maria I was astounded at the difference. Since that day, this has become my bloody drink of choice and I encourage all tomato drink fans to give this one a try to see what you think.
Prep Time: 3 minutes
Total Time: 3 minutes
Yield: 1 Cocktail
- 2 ounces tequila
- 1 teaspoon horseradish
- 3 dashes Tabasco sauce
- 3 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- Dash of lime juice
- 3 dashes celery salt
- 3 dashes pepper
- Tomato juice
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard (optional)
- Celery stalk for garnish
- Lemon and/or lime wedge for garnish
- Cucumber and/or cocktail shrimp for garnish (optional)
- Build the ingredients in a highball glass over ice cubes.
- Top with tomato juice.
- Mix well by rolling back and forth from one glass to another.
- Garnish with the lemon and/or lime wedge and celery stalk.
Would you like to receive cocktail tips and recipes every week? Sign up for the free cocktail newsletter and recipe of the week here and get the latest edition sent directly to your email.