This cocktail is very spicy and I love drinks like that. The key heat comes from the serrano chile, which is both muddled and used as a garnish. The "chill" (which is necessary as the serrano is about 5 times hotter than a jalapeno) comes from the basil, lime, sugar syrup and an aged tequila that is unusually clear as glass. Amazingly it all comes together quite smoothly.
All of you spicy drink lovers can thank Pablo Moix from STK in Los Angeles for coming up with this new twist on a tequila cocktail.
Prep Time: 3 minutes
Total Time: 3 minutes
Yield: 1 Cocktail
- 2 ounces Maestro Dobel Tequila
- 4 basil leaves
- 1 serrano chili slice 1/4" thick
- 3/4 ounce lime juice
- 3/4 ounce simple syrup
- In a mixing glass, crack the chili with a muddler.
- Add basil, then muddle or bruise.
- Add all spirits and mixers.
- Shake and strain into a cocktail glass.
- Garnish with a serrano chili slice and a basil sprig.
Recipe Courtesy: Maestro Dobel Tequila
Would you like to receive cocktail tips and recipes every week? Sign up for the free cocktail newsletter and recipe of the week here and get the latest edition sent directly to your email.