This is a fantastic recipe that I must thank John Mitzewich
, About.com Guide to American Food, for passing along to me. As he says, "(As Night Falls was) served exclusively at the Chateau de Grey Goose. Created during the Food & Wine Classic in Aspen
. This cocktail was inspired by a traditional Italian aperitif, and features a spicy citrus tang."
It is a delicious and unique cocktail with a lot going on. The spices play off the orange and grapefruit in a manner that is quite surprising. Do make sure and muddle the peppercorns well before proceeding with the preparation and double strain to ensure that all are out.
- 2 parts Grey Goose L'Orange Vodka
- 1 part white grapefruit juice
- 2 coriander leaves
- 7 red peppercorns
- 1 1/2 tsp white sugar
- small piece of ginger
- whole star anise to garnish
- orange zest for garnish
- Muddle the peppercorns in a cocktail shaker.
- Add thinly sliced ginger and muddle again.
- Add the other ingredients and ice.
- Shake vigorously.
- Double strain into a chilled coupette glass.
- Garnish with an orange zest and piece of star anise.