The Bottom Line
- Very smooth, clean vodka.
- Creates spectacular vodka cocktails.
- A $40 vodka that tastes like a $60 vodka.
- Elegant bottle worth showing off.
- Limited availability - at least initially.
- Vodka distilled 7 times from grain in England and made with Icelandic spring water.
- Master Distiller Peter McKay
- Imported by Viking Glacier Spirit, Inc., Austin, Texas
- 40% alc/volume (80 proof)
- Retails for $39.95/750ml bottle
- U.S. release in September 2008
Guide Review - ÍS Vodka
European wheat is the base for the vodka and with seven trips through the still, much of the taste is gone. This leaves the vodka very watery but also very smooth and there is no "vodka bite" whatsoever. IS is a stunning vodka and makes a beautiful, relaxing sipper (although I prefer to flavor it with orange bitters) and begs to be mixed with other high quality mixers in any vodka cocktail of your choice.
The bottle IS comes in is beautifully designed and one that you'll want to show off in the bar. It is tall and elegant with "icicles" flowing down the side, a heavy nickle-plated cap hiding a synthetic cork and a mythical, golden angel of Iceland on the face.
ÍS Vodka has a very clean, watery fragrance that is reflected in the warm palate. The taste is considerably transparent but holds the slightest notes of burnt orange and silky, smooth herbs. The finish is stunning, with just a touch of spice and a quick fade.