The Bottom Line
- Smooth espresso vodkas for easy Espresso Martinis.
- Rich cocoa and dark roasted coffee notes.
- On the rocks the Espresso is a great and easy dessert sipper.
- Double Espresso has just enough caffeine - not overboard.
- Double Espresso is rich and thick, not quite syrupy but close.
- Neutral grain vodka infused with coffee. Double Espresso has twice the caffeine
- Distilled in Schiedam, Holland by Royal Dirkzwager Distilleries
- Imported by Luctor International, LLC, Orlando, Florida
- 35% alc/volume (70 proof)
- Retail for around $28/750ml bottle
Guide Review - Van Gogh Espresso and Double Espresso Vodkas
With the Espresso cocktails are lighter, both in color and taste. It is the ideal substitute for the vodka and Kahlua of the more common Espresso Martinis. This also makes a fantastic White (or Black) Russian, a delicious Talking Monkey and I had a bit of fun pairing it with pomegranate juice for my Pomspresso Martini and with gin for my Ginspresso Martini. While you may see a pattern with those, they also show off the versatility of Van Gogh's Espresso.
Back to the Double Espresso. It is a powerful one, but not as much as Three Olives Triple. It is a great substitute for Kahlua in most of the common coffee-flavored drinks, like the Bacchus Espresso Martini, because it is dark and rich with just a touch more caffeine. It is also fun for shots like Van Gogh's Irish Coffee Drop.
Van Gogh Espresso Tasting Notes:
The fragrance is light and airy, reminiscent of a small coffee shop with fresh, dark beans percolating. The palate is that of velvet and dark roasted beans caress the tongue and the finish has a strong, lasting note of a mocha latte made with rich chocolate and cream.
Van Gogh Double Espresso Tasting Notes:
This vodka has a significantly richer aroma marked with sweet, dark cocoa that fills the air. Not quite a light syrup, the Double Espresso is thicker, darker feeling and has a chocolate-caramel tone. The finish is rich in cocoa and has a caffeinated kick to it that is an eye opener, but a gentle one.