The Gallery Bar at Los Angeles' wonderful Millenium Biltmore hotel has introduced a new cocktail list featuring several new variations on the classic Manhattan cocktail. The Grand Manhattan cocktail is a combination of Knob Creek bourbon, Grand Marnier, Vya sweet vermouth and orange juice. Slightly lighter and sweeter than a traditional Manhattan, the Grand Manhattan will remind you of one of Los Angeles' famously sunny days when you first sip it. Try this one for a fun brunch option too.
- 1/2 oz Knob Creek bourbon
- 1/4 oz Grand Marnier
- 1/4 oz Vya sweet vermouth
- 1 oz orange juice
- caramelized orange wheel for garnish
- In a cocktail shaker, add Knob Creek, Grand Marnier and Vya sweet vermouth. Add orange juice and ice.
- Shake vigorously for 30 seconds, then strain into a chilled martini glass. Garnish with a caramelized orange wheel.
For the caramelized orange wheel, cut one orange wheel and toss in granulated sugar to coat. Place on aluminum foil or other nonflammable surface. Using a hand held propane torch, lightly caramelize the sugar by passing the torch flame 1-2 inches over the surface of the orange. Allow to cool, flip over and repeat.