James (J.P.) Pierce is widely recognized as one of the preeminent mixologists in the Pacific Northwest. Now plying his trade at Portland's Branch Whiskey Bar, his Winter Hill cocktail has been featured in national publications like Left Coast Libations. A mix of Buffalo Trace bourbon, satsuma and lemon wedges and hot water with Cointreau and chocolate bitters, this warm cocktail is a perfect choice for an unusually cool summer night or a breezy day.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 5 minutes
Yield: 1 Cocktail
- 2 satsuma orange wedges
- 2 lemon wedges
- 2 oz Buffalo Trace Bourbon Whiskey
- 1/2 oz Cointreau orange liqueur
- 2 dashes chocolate bitters
- Hot water
- Lemon wheel studded with 4 cloves for garnish
- Muddle the satsuma and lemon wedges in a mixing glass.
- Add all remaining ingredients and fill with ice.
- Shake well.
- Strain into an Irish coffee glass.
- Top with hot water.
- Garnish with a clove-studded lemon wheel.
Would you like to receive cocktail tips and recipes every week? Sign up for the free cocktail newsletter and recipe of the week here and get the latest edition sent directly to your email.