Jerry Thomas, the father of modern bartending, wrote this recipe for the first bartenders guide published, How to Mix Drinks. While a lot has changed since this book first appeared in 1862, the recipe for a good, extremely simple whiskey punch remains the same. Try this when the weather starts to get cool and you feel like something simple yet warming.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 5 minutes
Yield: 1 Cocktail
- 2 oz whiskey (Irish whiskey or blended Scotch whisky recommended)
- 1 sugar cube (or more to taste)
- Hot water to fill
- 1 piece of lemon (wedge or wheel)
- In a mug or coffee cup, pour the boiling water over the sugar cube.
- Stir to dissolve.
- Add whisky.
- Add a small piece of lemon, serve.
Would you like to receive cocktail tips and recipes every week? Sign up for the free cocktail newsletter and recipe of the week here and get the latest edition sent directly to your email.