Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 5 minutes
Yield: 1 Cocktail
- 2 ounces Scotch
- 1 1/2 ounces boiling water
- Sugar for sweetening to taste
- Lemon peel for garnish
- Pour the Scotch, water and sugar into a heat-resistant (silver-plated or pewter and tulip-shaped are recommended) mug with a handle.
- Light the mix on fire.
- While still ablaze, roll the mix into an identical mug and back again 4-5 times.
- Pour the mix into another heat resistant cup with a lemon peel, then put one of the mugs over top to extinguish the flames.
Tips from David Wondrich's Imbibe!:
- Pour over a tray full of water.
- You don't want the fire to go out while pouring.
- Pour only 1/2 of the contents each time.
- Mix it quick as the handles will get hot.
- Turn the lights down for effect and to make it easier t see what you are doing.
- Practice with water first.
- Go outside the first few attempts at flaming.
Would you like to receive cocktail tips and recipes every week? Sign up for the free cocktail newsletter and recipe of the week here and get the latest edition sent directly to your email.