The Sazerac cocktail is one of the oldest and best known cocktails in American history. While a well-made Sazerac is a delicious treat, substituting Solerno Blood Orange Liqueur in place of absinthe makes this classic a bit more approachable for less experienced drinkers. Try this one out for Valentines Day or anytime you feel like a whiskey based cocktail with just a bit more pizazz.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 5 minutes
Yield: 1 cocktail
- 3 oz Rittenhouse rye whiskey
- 3/4 oz simple syrup
- 3-4 dashes Regans orange bitters
- Solerno Blood Orange Liqueur
- orange twist for garnish
- Chill an old-fashioned glass by filling it with ice and letting it sit while preparing the rest of the drink.
- In a separate mixing glass, muddle the simple syrup and orange bitters together.
- Add the rye whiskey and ice to the bitters mixture and stir.
- Discard the ice in the chilled glass and rinse it with Solerno Blood Orange liqueur by pouring a small amount into the glass, swirling it around and discarding the liquid.
- Strain the whiskey mixture from the mixing glass into the old fashioned glass.
- Garnish with an orange twist expressed directly over the surface of the cocktail.