The Sazerac cocktail is one of the oldest and best known cocktails in American history. While a well-made Sazerac is a delicious treat, substituting Solerno Blood Orange Liqueur in place of absinthe makes this classic a bit more approachable for less experienced drinkers.
Prep Time: 3 minutes
Total Time: 3 minutes
Yield: 1 Cocktail
- 3 ounces Rittenhouse Rye Whiskey
- 3/4 ounce simple syrup
- 3-4 dashes Regans orange bitters
- Solerno Blood Orange Liqueur
- Orange twist for garnish
- Chill an old-fashioned glass by filling it with ice and letting it sit while preparing the rest of the drink.
- In a mixing glass, muddle the simple syrup and orange bitters.
- Add the rye whiskey and ice to the bitters mixture and stir.
- Discard the ice in the chilled glass and rinse it with Solerno by pouring a small amount into the glass, swirling it around and discarding the liquid.
- Strain the whiskey mixture into the old fashioned glass (with fresh ice if you like).
- Garnish with an orange twist expressed directly over the surface of the cocktail.