The Sazerac cocktail is one of the oldest and best known cocktails in American history. While a well-made Sazerac is a delicious treat, substituting Solerno Blood Orange Liqueur in place of absinthe makes this classic a bit more approachable for less experienced drinkers. Try this one out for Valentines Day or anytime you feel like a whiskey based cocktail with just a bit more pizazz.
Prep Time: 3 minutes
Total Time: 3 minutes
Yield: 1 Cocktail
- 3 ounces Rittenhouse rye whiskey
- 3/4 ounce simple syrup
- 3-4 dashes Regans orange bitters
- Solerno Blood Orange Liqueur
- Orange twist for garnish
- Chill an old-fashioned glass by filling it with ice and letting it sit while preparing the rest of the drink.
- In a separate mixing glass, muddle the simple syrup and orange bitters together.
- Add the rye whiskey and ice to the bitters mixture and stir.
- Discard the ice in the chilled glass and rinse it with Solerno Blood Orange liqueur by pouring a small amount into the glass, swirling it around and discarding the liquid.
- Strain the whiskey mixture from the mixing glass into the old fashioned glass.
- Garnish with an orange twist expressed directly over the surface of the cocktail.
Would you like to receive cocktail tips and recipes every week? Sign up for the free cocktail newsletter and recipe of the week here and get the latest edition sent directly to your email.