Master Distiller Jimmy Russell has over 56 years experience distilling at Wild Turkey. Just in time for the Kentucky Derby, here is Jimmy's personal mint julep recipe featuring the bold taste of Wild Turkey 101. This higher proof bourbon doesn't get watered down easily and produces a julep with a stronger, more flavorful profile. Without further ado, here is Jimmy's own personal julep recipe, the "56 Julep".
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 5 minutes
Yield: 1 Drink
- 2 1/2 oz. Wild Turkey 101 bourbon
- 3 sprigs of mint (six to eight mature-sized leaves)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/2 cup crushed ice
- In a silver julep glass or a double old-fashioned glass, muddle two sprigs of mint with the brown sugar and one ounce of Wild Turkey 101 for a few minutes, crushing the mint leaves with a spoon.
- Add the crushed ice, the remaining bourbon and garnish with a sprig of freshly spanked mint (take a mint sprig, put it between your hands and clap to release the aromas). Enjoy!