Recently, I was dining at Acadia restaurant in Portland, Oregon and was surprised by this fantastic cocktail developed by reknowned mixologist Jabriel Donohue. Before coming to Portland, Jabriel honed his craft in the bucolic fishing town of Bellingham Washington. With cocktail creations like this, Jabriel is quickly making his mark as one of the preeminent mixologists in the Pacific Northwest. Rye whiskey, Cherry Heering, Benedictine and Fernet Branca make this a complex, layered cocktail, a perfect foil for the spicy Cajun cuisine Acadia is known for.
Prep Time: 3 minutes
Total Time: 3 minutes
Yield: 1 Cocktail
- 2 ounces rye whiskey
- 1/2 ounce Cherry Heering
- 1/4 ounce Benedictine
- Fernet Branca (to rinse glass)
- Orange twist
- In a cocktail mixing glass, add first three ingredients.
- Add ice, stir vigorously for 30 seconds.
- Strain into a chilled martini glass that has been rinsed with Fernet Branca.
- Garnish with an orange twist, making sure to express the orange oil directly onto the surface of the cocktail.
Would you like to receive cocktail tips and recipes every week? Sign up for the free cocktail newsletter and recipe of the week here and get the latest edition sent directly to your email.