This cocktail does have the potential to turn you into a zombie - just as the name implies and many Zombie drinkers can attest to. It is reported to have been created by Don the Beachcomber around 1934 and it is still perfect to enjoy for a relaxing happy hour, tropical summer drink, or a haunting Halloween party cocktail.
As is common in tiki cocktails, the original recipe is disputed. Below is just one variation from Dale DeGroff's The Craft of the Cocktail, find more in this article on Kaiser Penguin: Zombie Recipe Comparison. There is also a classic tiki cocktail called Zombie Punch, also attributed to Don.
Prep Time: 3 minutes
Total Time: 3 minutes
Yield: 1 Cocktail
- 1 ounce light rum
- 1 ounce dark rum
- 1 ounce 151-proof dark rum (optional)
- 1 ounce orange curacao liqueur
- 1/2 ounce lemon juice
- 1/2 ounce lime juice
- 1 1/2 ounces orange juice
- 1 1/2 ounces passion fruit puree (or syrup)
- 1/4 ounce grenadine
- 2 dashes Angostura bitters
- Pour the ingredients into a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Shake well.
- Strain into a highball glass with crushed ice.
- Optionally, float the high-proof rum on top of the finished drink.
Would you like to receive cocktail tips and recipes every week? Sign up for the free cocktail newsletter and recipe of the week here and get the latest edition sent directly to your email.