is a very diverse liquor and it seems that everyone has a favorite, though many people stick with one of the big name brands. Which rum do you recommend for cocktails? Is there a certain rum that you find more versatile than others, a special find that you fell for after the first sip, or one that you recommend for a specific rum cocktail
- MY favorite rum when I was drinking was Barcardi, because I was always told that Barcardi was made in Puerto Rico.
- —Guest David Moore
Lemon Hart 151
- Although I enjoy Barbancourt 5 Star, Kraken, and Pyrat XO, nothing beats Lemon Hart 151 demerara rum. I use it in every recipe that calls for a 151 proof rum and in spite of the alcohol content, I routinely sip this neat. The flavor is so bloody rich and delicious, words fail me. And a Zombie just isn't a Zombie without it!
- —Guest Mr Retsej
- Barbancourt 5 star and Flor de Cana are both excellent choices.
- —Guest Jeff
It came from the deep...
- I am not a rum guy at all. Whiskey is my poison of choice. But, my flatmate bought some Kraken dark rum that I legitimately enjoyed.
- —Guest NotARumGuy
Sangster's Jamaican Rum Cream
- Wonderful, smooth flavor, not overpowering. Reminds you of Bailey's Irish Cream.
- You did not mention the volume the pricing was basesd on. I prefer RonRico light and clear @$17.00 for a 1.75l crowd pleaser
- —Guest J Davis
Rum San Pablo from Curacao
- Both dark and light rum purchased for $9.- in Florida . Winner of bronze medal at San Fransisco liquor festival
- —Guest Pablito Manzana
- I love goslings as well. Has a nice deep flavor. Also apple tons reserve is nice in coke with lime. Tried 10 cane not bad either
- —Guest Gerry
Ron Zacapa 23 Year
- Smooth as silk and very full of flavor - I don't mix, just sip. Zacapa replaced Barbancourt Five Star as my favorite. Will be trying Zaya - thanks for the reviews....
- —Guest Floridian
- One of the best cheap rums available. Not terribly good, but can't be beat for the price. About $11 for a 1.75.
- —Guest mount
Sailor Jerry, give it a try!
- Original Sailor Jerry spiced rum is a fun drink very reliable taste and priced for every day drinking, It mixes well taste almost like candy. Pour it over some foods and deserts.
- —Guest ReadFinishedMag
- Rhum Saint James--a must for the Rhum baba of French dessert fame, as well as a wonderful sipping run and cocktail base.
Myers--keep it simple: Myers and Fresh Orange Juice is pretty hard to beat.
Mount Gay Pure Sugar Cane Rum--Like both of the above, great for mixing and a fine rum for sipping in a brandy snifter
- —Guest JohnJomtien
Small Batch Rum
- I took a tour of Prichard's while visiting friends in Tennessee. Maybe it was because I wasn't expecting much but I was blown away by the quality of rum they produced. They make it in small barrels. I liked the single malt, http://www.prichardsdistillery.com/whiskey/single-malt-whiskey.cfm - but it was in the $50 range.
- —Guest Paul M.
- Hi all,
There are a lot of good rums out there (and sadly a lot of not so good ones as well), so it's hard to pick, but here are a few of my favorites:
Oronoco (Simply the best, IMHO :)
Cruzan Estate Light
Castillo (somewhat harsh, but at $8.99 a bottle, it is a really good value)
- —Guest foodiedb
- First had Zaya in a cigar bar, sipped from a brandy snifter over an hours time.